Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Apricot and almond bakewell



I've been wanting to try this recipe out for a while, but was slightly disappointed when I read the recipe again, to see that it uses pre-made pastry. So I cobbled together a sweet shortcrust pastry from one of Delia Smith's recipes in How to Cook Book 1. Unfortunately I failed to weigh the pastry once I'd made it so don't know if I made 400g or not! Also, interestingly, Delia recommends using butter at room temperature for making pastry, whereas I had always believed that it should be chilled. Room temperature butter makes the pastry much softer, and easier to work and roll and still tasted great. The other problem I had was that I don't think my tin was big enough - I think it needed to be deeper as I had an overflow problem (all the bits hacked off before the photo taken!) and still had filling left over! But it worked in the end, just need to invest in a bigger tin...

No comments: