Thursday, April 29, 2010

Cake!!!

I am holding a Cake Break in aid of the MS Society tomorrow - have just had a marathon afternoon baking and making dinner (homemade pizza). So there is a cherry bakewell sponge surprise (the surprise being that I bought damson jam by mistake instead of cherry...), date and coconut bars, mini carrot and courgette muffins (which Zachary mixed and broke the egg for) and apple streusel muffins. Yum!

It is mainly an excuse to make cakes (hee hee), although I have known people at work with MS so there is a vague connection and it's good to be able to support charities when you can. Hopefully photos will follow shortly.

I've made the apple muffins before and can't remember if I had the same issue with the recipe. It's an American book, but I assume that their tablespoon measure is the same size as ours? Anyway the recipe says to put 2 tablespoons of the batter in each case, then the cinnamon sugar layer, then a further 2 tablespoons to top up. I may be being over generous with my tablespoons, but I've got 3 muffins that didn't get a top layer of batter! Am going to try one of those soon to see how it is.

Also took Zachary for his second nursery settling in this morning. Oh man it was hard. He was happy to go in with us but as soon as we made moves to leave him he howled. Leigh had gone with Leo to the Parents Room, and I found I just had to leave Zachary otherwise it was just going to get worse - or at least no better. The staff there are happy to give him a cuddle if he needs it and apparently he quickly settled after we were gone. I felt awful though - it might sound ridiculous, but it felt almost as though I'd betrayed him! He gets so used to going off to play but still being able to see me at the other end of the room, I felt I'd broken his trust or something.

We stayed at the nursery for the rest of the hour (in a separate room) and later on saw his group going out into the garden - Zachary leading the charge! And he was absolutely fine when we went to collect him. So hopefully it will get easier as he starts to know the staff more and he certainly had a good time. It will be a test on Tuesday.

No comments: